Thursday 23 June 2011

On the Hunt

Still checking out my garden Asiatic lily plants everyday. Today an entomologist from the University of Manitoba came for the second time to collect any lurking red lily beetles and the larvae. Lots of larvae this time and last, but only two beetles. If I don't squish those larvae....more beetles on the way!
The entomology department is doing a study and dna testing on these samples with hopes of discovering a parasitic insect somewhere in this world that would devour these beetles/larvae. They also note exactly which genus,species and variety of lily they are discovered on. Fortunately, every time I plant any lilies I use a metal plant marker with the variety and planting date. I like to do this particularly when I must dig and separate/thin the lilies and replant or giveaway.

No comments: