Thursday 5 May 2011

Red lily beetle

I had heard a few days ago that these lily beetles were out already and I did have my doubts. But no longer, as a customer who came into Schriemer's greenhouse brought me in two to verify....fortunately in a nice closed sandwich bag! Watch out for these! Even this early with the lily plants barely 6 inches tall they are in your lily bed. So far there is no perfect way to rid your garden of these pests other than hand picking and squishing. I tried to put them in water to drown them but they float very well and then crawl out.
Neem oil sprayed on the lily plant is touted to be somewhat of a deterrent. I am toying with drenching the soil with cabaryl or btk on the lily leaves in hopes that I can kill the larvae.
Fortunately their bright red colour are a sure giveaway alerting you to their presence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes unfortunately this morning I noticed these beetles all over my lillies. I have had these plants in my garden for years but this is the first time I've seen these things and they are all over my plants. I killed what I could and sprayed my plants & soil with insecticide but if that doesn't work I fear I will have to get rid of all of my lillies. I'd hate to have to do that but unfortunately, it may be neccesary in order to stop these things from spreading.