Wednesday 2 December 2009


Gardening under the Full Moon


This was a December 1st to remember! I have never gardened at night and enjoyed doing it so much. If anyone knows what our 'typical' winter weather is like I would have been bundled up and working in mid-day under sunshine. But I couldn't resist having just arrived home with my fresh seasonal greens for my outdoor containers. The moon was brilliant and along with our Christmas lights, plenty of light shone on my gardening areas. What pleasure at zero degrees celsius as I was relishing working in my light garden gloves, not shivering and having to come inside to warm up the frozen fingers from winter gloves. Plus wearing no winter boots as no snow has arrived. I remained outside for 2 hours relishing how beautiful and warm....by our standards....it was. November broke all time high records with it being the warmest November in history.


And I was blessed to take advantage of this special first day of December, doing what I love to do.....garden.....no matter where or when.

3 comments:

JP said...

sounds perfect!

Marilyn said...

Thank you. Really like your blog on raised garden beds. This is very relevant now as we just finished building an 4ftx8ftx18in one at our son and daughter in laws in Scottsdale. We discovered a product that uses recycled materials and it worked perfectly. They need soil also and your idea of using leaves...although that would be difficult for them...compost etc. is a great idea. They needed the 18in. as the desert soil is impenetrable. They are first time homeowners and look forward to reaping its rewards.

Christine B. said...

A very cheerful front door scene. I am jealous you can garden in December. Here in Alaska we've had snow since late October.

Keep the pics coming,

Christine B.