Tuesday 7 April 2009


Dedication to Mom


Maybe some of the fellow gardeners who follow my blog have been wondering where I have been. As the previous message told you I was visiting family.


Since my return sadness has visited me as my Mom passed away two weeks ago. She was the first gardener I knew in my life. For 63 years she lived in the North End of Winnipeg where all yards had large gardens, and hers was no exception. Although she was born in Winnipeg, this area was largely composed of immigrants and of course they brought their gardening knowledge and traits of sustaining themselves with them. Mom's garden flourished with tomatoes, peas, yellow and green beans, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, rhubarb, garlic, green onion and annually was seasoned with self- seeded dill. Being Ukrainian flowers abounded. Sprinkled from saved seed zinnias and marigolds coloured the summer. Batchelor buttons, bells of Ireland and poppies annually scattered their colour with only the aid of the wind. Along her house one always found snapdragons to play with by opening and closing their 'mouths'.


She moved into an apartment two years ago and I planted two containers for her on her balcony....one with flowers dominated by red ones, her favourite colour and the other planted with green onions. Guess which one she favoured? She loved her green onion sandwiches. Maybe we can all learn from this, she died 3 days after she turned 93 and very good her entire path. She will always be missed and loved.

4 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

What a beautiful dedication to your Mom Marilyn!She was a good gardener and she gave you a gift - love of gardening. I see my Mom in every flower that I have in my garden. They, our Mothers, live in our gardens...

Marilyn said...

Tatyana....thank you so much for your kind words on my dedication for my mom. Your pix tell me that you might be celebrating Easter this weekend....my Mom always followed the Julian calendar...

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

A lovely post. My Mum passed away almost three years ago, like yours she loved her garden.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother, but glad to read that you have so many cherished memories of sharing the garden experience with her.