Thursday 17 December 2009


Leaves and Snow


Walking in the park adjacent to us this afternoon, wonder of wonders, the sound of leaves underfoot was a first. Still very little snow, hence not enough to offer any cover for the fallen leaves. We had some very cold temps, in the minus 20's celsius, and I am quite concerned for some of my perennials. Or rather those that I am pushing the envelope on, such as Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola', which I have covered with flax straw and Epimedium rubrum, which I have not covered. Tomorrow I will be gathering up some of those oak leaves and blanketing the Epimedium. I would dearly miss those bobbing little Bishops Hats in the spring.

We have 'warmed up' by our standards to a very pleasant -8c today with still no sign of snow. Every year my husband and I build a snowman in our backyard but not this year. The only one to look at will be in this message of Happy Wishes to All!

No comments: